GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (Oct. 13, 2021) — The past two weekends saw close to 60 games played across six states in the Fall 2021 season of the US Youth Soccer Great Lakes Conference. Teams are reaching the business end of the season, with promotion slots up for grabs ahead of the Spring 2022 season.
Some notes from the weekend’s Team vs. Team action:
- Both Beadling 2008 Boys Pre-MLS NEXT (PA-W) and Michigan Jaguars Huron Valley 2008 Boys Green (MI) extended their perfect starts to the Fall 2021 season in 14U Boys Premier II White, with Beadling winning three games and Michigan Jaguars winning two. The two play each other this upcoming Saturday, which will prove to be pivotal in determining the division champion.
- AFFC 2009 Black (PA-W) and Team Challenger FC B09 Black (OH) won their respective games in the 13U Boys Premier Blue Division to keep the division title race open. AFFC can clinch the division, and with it a spot in Premier I for the Spring 2022 season, with a win over Century Boys 2009 Gold (PA-W) on Oct. 16.
- Following a draw in its opening game of the season, TFA G08 Elite (OH) rebounded to win both of its games to lift itself up to first place in 14U Girls Premier I. TFA sits just one point ahead of GTFC Impact Girls 08 Premier (OH) with the two sides due to play each other within the next two weeks.
- The 13U Boys Premier White Division was among the busiest over the past few weeks, as eight games were played. Hoosier FC 2009 Elite Wolves (IN) picked up two important wins after tying their first three games of the season, which allowed them stay in the race for the title with only a point separating the top four sides.
- Lakota FC G09 Black (OH) hit the ground running to begin its fall season, as it won both of its games in the 13U Girls Premier Blue Division. A win over FWSC 09G Dresden (IN) lifted Lakota to within two points of first place, despite playing two fewer games than its opponents.
- SCS United 2008 Boys Black (PA-W) sits one win away from the 14U Boys Premier I Division crown after winning all three of its Oct. 2-3 games, including a vital 2-1 win against second-place PSC '08 Gold (OH).
- After dropping its first points of the season, Indy Premier SC 08B Elite I (IN) will have to wait to guarantee a first-place finish in the 14U Boys Premier II Blue Division. Indy would clinch first place with a win in its final game on Oct. 24. However, should it drop points, BSA B08 Metro/Celtic (OH) can surpass Indy with wins in its remaining games.
What they’re saying:
After a strong start to the Fall 2021 season, several teams — including Beadling 2008 Boys Pre-MLS NEXT (PA-W) — are looking to carry that momentum for the duration of the 2021-22 soccer season.
“We’re hungry for more after winning our first six games of the season,” said Dave Kovalcik, coach of Beadling 2008 Boys Pre-MLS NEXT (PA-W). “We are playing super quality teams every match and every team is capable of beating each other on any given day. Every day this team and collective group of boys prepare with passion, excitement and intensity. The focus is not on the end goal as much as it is on the process and day-to-day approach.”
Despite drawing their first three games of the season, Hoosier FC 2009 Elite Wolves (IN) sit a point behind first place after getting two huge wins over the weekend.
“In our previous games I thought the possession and organization defensively, overall, was good, but we were missing opportunities and the creative play in the final third,” said Tom Keenan, coach of Hoosier FC 2009 Elite Wolves (IN). “Heading into the weekend, we focused the majority of training in the final third and getting the ball into wide areas. The team’s execution and focus on details around the goal attributed to the performance in both wins, which allowed us to score 12 goals on the weekend.”
The Great Lakes Conference is one of 13 Conferences in the National League, and it consists of teams primarily from New York West, Pennsylvania West, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Kentucky.
To follow the Great Lakes Conference results and standings, click here.
Click here for more information on the Great Lakes Conference. For more information on all 13 of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and National League P.R.O., click here.