GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (May 25, 2021) — Over 50 games were played in the Midwest Conference this past week as teams look to clinch promotion, slots for National League P.R.O. and qualify for the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships.
Only 10 of the 30 automatic qualifying slots for the 2021-22 National League P.R.O. made available to teams in the Spring 2021 season remain vacant.
With just over 150 games remaining across the 50 divisions in the Spring 2021 season of the Midwest Conference, teams will be fighting tooth-and-nail to join the list of 20 teams that have already clinched their division title.
Some notes from the weekend’s Team vs. Team action:
- Bavarian SC Juniors 13UB Blue (WI) secured first place in the 13U Boys Premier I Division with a 4-2 win over CFJ 2008B Premier (IL) on Friday night — clinching a berth to the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships.
- With only a point needed in its final game of the season to secure an automatic qualifying slot for National League P.R.O., Sporting Saint Louis 07 Academy Navy (MO) lost, 2-0, to SLSG 2007 Elite (MO). Sporting Saint Louis finished in fifth place, losing out to Madison 56ers 2007 Boys Red (WI) on head-to-head for the fourth and final automatic qualifying slot.
- Milwaukee Bavarians (WI) wrapped up the division title in 15U Boys First Division White with a 4-2 win over Strike FC 15U Boys Blue 06 (WI).
- In a frantic fight to the finish, MSC Academy 05 (IL) eliminated Raiders FC 2005 (IL) from the 16U Boys Premier I title chase with a 2-0 win. While MSC Academy 05 (IL) currently occupies first place, that could all change when Salvo SC 05B Navy (MN) wraps up its season on May 26.
- Evolution 04 Boys Mercurial (IL) was eliminated from contention for first place in the 17U Boys Premier II Division with a 6-3 loss to Allouez Stampede FC (WI).
- The 17U Boys First Division Yellow saw the most action with 12 games played over the course of the past week. With two games remaining for all the teams in contention to win the division, Rush WI 2004 Boys Rush (WI) and Madison 56ers 2004 Boys Red (WI) lead the way with four wins apiece from five games, with the fifth game being a tie against each other.
- A 3-2 win in their final game of the season saw Milwaukee Bavarians (WI) win the 18U Boys Premier I Division, securing a spot at the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships.
- Campton 2003 USYS Red Boys (IL) only need one more point to win the 18U Boys Premier II Division following their 4-0 win over EBU U18B Elite (WI) on Saturday.
- FC Wisconsin 18B RCP (WI) won both of its games this weekend by 3-0 scorelines, which means it won 18U Boys First Division Blue after going undefeated over the course of the season.
- Chicago Magic 2002 MCL (IL) secured first place in the 19U Boys Premier I Division and a berth to the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships with a 2-0 win over FC Wisconsin 19B RCP (WI), wrapping up a perfect 5-0-0 season.
- Having already clinched first place in 13U Girls First Division Blue, Illinois Fire Juniors 2008G Navy (IL) capped off its undefeated season with a 3-1 win over FCX 2008 Girls Black 1 (IL).
- Evolution 07 Girls Mercurial (IL) missed the chance to increase its lead in first place in the 14U Girls Premier I Division, losing 1-0 to 2007 Ela Elite 1 (IL). Evolution has one game remaining to get to 18 points, but Nationals Union 07 Girls Black (MI) can win the division with a win in each of its last two games.
Some notes from the weekend’s Boys Club vs. Club action:
- Chicago FC United (IL) hosted Libertyville FC (IL) on Saturday, with the hosts winning three of the five games in the 15U, 17U and 19U age groups.
- Libertyville FC (IL) then traveled to SC Wave (WI) for a matchup on Sunday. SC Wave won two of the four games, while the teams drew the games in the 16U and 18U age groups. The draw in the 16U game means that both teams are tied for first place, but SC Wave stays ahead thanks to its superior goal difference. However, with two other teams still alive in the fight for first place, this division will not be decided until after this weekend.
What they’re saying:
For teams in the 19U age group, winning the division and advancing to the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships is a culmination of their hard work throughout the years.
“We are extremely proud of our team winning the 19U Boys Premier I Division,” said Bato Radoncic, coach of Chicago Magic 2002 MCL (IL). “It’s a great accomplishment for the team and the Magic coaching staff. When we started the season, we promised that we will do everything possible on the field to have the best season ever since a lot of the boys will be moving on to college next year.
“We have been playing in the National League against top competition and we knew that winning Premier I wouldn’t be easy. At the end of the day, we have accomplished the first step forward and look to continue the Spring 2021 season successfully. Our goal is to win Regionals first and try to bring the National Championship title back to Chicago Magic.”
Elsewhere, the First Divisions of the Midwest Conference offer teams valuable games and opportunities to test themselves against teams from across the region for possible promotion slots to higher tiers within the Conference.
“Our team is extremely pleased and proud to go unbeaten on the season in a really competitive group,” said Ben Shepherd, coach of FC Wisconsin 18B RCP (WI), which clinched the 18U Boys First Division Blue title this weekend. “The final game was their best game yet and to win that game 3-0 to clinch the division is a testament to their hard work and commitment on the year.”
The Midwest Conference is one of 13 Conferences under the USYS National League in the multi-state tier, and it consists of teams primarily from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.
To follow the Midwest Conference results and standings this weekend, click here.
Click here for more information on the Midwest Conference. For more information on all of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and National League P.R.O., click here.