GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (September 15, 2021) — Close to 200 games were played across 40 divisions in the Midwest Conference this weekend as many teams got their Fall 2021 seasons up and running. Competing teams are looking to get results that set the foundation as they eye promotion, National League P.R.O. slots for 2022-23 and qualification for the 2022 US Youth Soccer Midwest Regional Championships.
This past weekend saw 76 teams travel to play their games at the first conference-hosted weekend of the season at Rockford Sportscore II in Rockford, Ill., where 87 games were played across 13 divisions in immaculate weather.
Some notes from the Rockford Conference Hosted Weekend:
- JB Marine Thunder (MO) and LFA Tottleben 2005G (MO) won both of their matchups in the 17U Girls Premier I Division, with both teams sitting atop the standings with six points.
- Thirteen games were played in the 14U Girls Premier II Yellow Division, with WIUFC 2008 Girls Premier (WI) and St. Croix 08 Girls Academy 1 (MN) winning all three of their games without conceding any goals, meaning they both sit atop the standings with a third of the season played.
- The 18U Girls Premier II Blue Division saw six teams get their season underway, with each team playing three games. All six teams dropped points, meaning despite Cap City 04 Girls Grey (MI), Plymouth SC Reign 04 Green (MI), and Bavarian United 18UG Blue (WI) going undefeated, the bulk of the division are still within a shot of getting results in the coming weeks to climb the table.
- SBV Academy 08 (KS) followed their 4-0 opening win on Sept. 2 by going 2-0-1 at Rockford this weekend, meaning they hold a three-point advantage over Cadence SFC 2008 (IL) in the 14U Boys Premier II Blue Division, having played a game more.
- WIUFC 2006 Girls Premier (WI) won all three of their games without conceding a goal — getting their season off to a perfect start in the 16U Girls Premier II White Division.
- The race for first in the 14U Boys Premier II White Division remains wide open as three teams remain undefeated having played close to a third of their season. WIUFC 2008 Boys Premier (WI) and Chicago Soccer Academy 08 Boys Juventus (IL) won both of their games over the weekend, while Evolution SC 08 Boys Mercurial (IL) won their only game, meaning all three teams are within three points at the top of the standings.
- EBU U15G Elite (WI) has set the pace in the 15U Girls Premier II White Division, winning all three of its games at Rockford while establishing a healthy plus-9 goal differential. With only three games remaining, they are in a good position to finish first in the division.
Some notes from the weekend’s Team vs. Team action:
- St. Croix 2009 Girls Academy (MN) and Tonka Fusion Elite 09 (MN) had identical weekend performances, with each team winning 3-1 and 2-0, meaning they are tied in every respect after two games played in the 13U Girls Premier White Division.
- In 14U Girls Premier II Black, MI Stars 08G Elite (MI) and Michigan Tigers 2008 Girls Gold (MI) have gotten off to bright starts having won both of their games thus far.
- Team Chicago SC played host to eight games in the 15U Girls Premier II Yellow Division, with Indy Premier United 07/08G GA (IN) securing some lopsided results which makes them firm favorites to win the division, having won all five of their games while maintaining a goal differential of plus-34.
- The 14U Girls Premier I Division got off to a competitive start with KC Fusion Academy 08 (KS) and Galaxy 2008 Girls Blue (IL) winning one game each and tying each other, while Tonka Fusion Elite 08 Girls (MN) won one and lost the other, meaning all three teams are within one point of each other in the early stages of the season.
Some notes from the weekend’s Girls Club vs. Club action:
- Chicago FC United (IL) won four games in its Club vs. Club matchup versus North Shore United (WI), with North Shore United’s sole win coming in the 17U age group.
- Chicago Inter (IL) edged a close series between it and Legends FC (MI), winning two games to Legends’ one while they tied games in the 15U and 19U age groups.
- North Shore United (WI) and Libertyville FC (IL) split their games in their matchup on Sunday, with each club winning two games and drawing their 15U matchup.
- Legends FC (MI) and Rockford Raptors FC (IL), both playing in Club vs. Club for the first time, split their matchup with Legends getting wins in the 15U and 17U age groups and Rockford in the 16U and 19U matchups.
What they’re saying:
“It was a huge benefit playing at the conference-hosted weekend,” said Blake Johnson, coach of WIUFC 2006 Girls Premier (WI) in 16U Girls Premier II White. “The format is taxing, yet no team has a competitive disadvantage as all teams are playing multiple games. Combining teams from different geographical areas helps alleviate multiple trips.”
“To their credit, none of our players have talked about winning their first three games,” Johnson said. “They know there are difficult upcoming matches. We will take one match at a time.”
“I can’t say enough about how wonderful the past weekend was at the Rockford conference hosted weekend,” said Matt Eisold, coach of EBU U15G Elite (WI) in 15U Girls Premier II White. “The atmosphere and availability of trainers, conference officials and administrators meant we had no worries and a streamlined experience.”
“Coming out of the weekend with maximum points showed our fantastic team unity and understanding of our style of play,” Eisold said after his team won all three of its games at Rockford Sportscore II. “The squad feels accomplished but knows that each match in the Midwest Conference is impactful. Overall, we couldn’t be more satisfied with the team and the weekend as a whole. Kudos to the conference and US Youth Soccer for a great event.”
The Midwest Conference is one of 13 Conferences under the USYS National League in the multi-state tier, and it consists of teams primarily from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota.
To follow the Midwest Conference results and standings, click here.
Click here for more information on the Midwest Conference. For more information on all 13 of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and National League P.R.O., click here.