GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (Sept. 29, 2021) — The past two weekends saw over 60 games played in the Fall 2021 season of the US Youth Soccer Great Lakes Conference, with teams vying for promotion slots ahead of the Spring 2022 season.
Several teams played their games as part of the conference-hosted weekend in Westfield, Ind., at Grand Park Sports Park over this past weekend.
Some notes from the Grand Park Conference Hosted Weekend:
- Dayton Futbol Academy Elite 08 (OH) won all three of its games at Grand Park, which lifts the team up to third in the 14U Boys Premier II White Division. Dayton is one point behind Team Challenger FC B08 Black (OH), who won two games over the weekend. Club Ohio 08B National (OH) remains in first place thanks to its win on Friday night, having played a game more than Team Challenger FC and Dayton Futbol Academy.
- FWSC 09G Dresden (IN) won its first game season on Sept. 18 and followed up with a convincing 3-0 win over CUP 09G Black (OH) in Westfield, Ind., to leapfrog them into first place the 13U Girls Premier Blue standings.
Some notes from the weekend’s Team vs. Team action:
- AFFC 2009 Black (PA-W) extended its perfect start to the season with two wins over MI Burn 09 Black (MI) and Nationals Union 09 Boys Black (MI) — expanding its lead at the top of the 13U Boys Premier Blue standings to three points with over half the season played.
- An action-packed weekend hosted by Fort Wayne United FC (IN) saw Barca Academy CLB Blue 08G (OH) win both of its games without conceding a goal, leaving it just one win away from clinching the title in the 14U Girls Premier II Blue Division.
- Sporting Columbus Boys 2009 I (OH) continued its winning start with victories in both of its recent games. Sporting increased its goal difference to plus-22, as it is one win away from clinching the 13U Boys Premier Yellow Division title.
- GTFC Impact Girls 09 Premier (OH) got its season started with two wins from two games on a trip to Pennsylvania in the 13U Girls Premier White Division. After Club Ohio 09G National (OH) won one game and drew another this past weekend, GTFC sits only one point behind Club Ohio in the standings with a game in hand.
- Games in the 14U Boys Premier II Blue Division saw BSA B08 Metro/Celtic (OH) get two wins over the weekend after it lost to group leader Indy Premier SC 08B Elite I (IN), who remains atop the standings after its 5-0-0 start.
- CUP 09G Gold (OH)’s win on Friday night, paired with a draw for TFA G09 Elite (OH) the previous weekend, saw the two teams go level with identical 2-0-1 records at the top of the 13U Girls Premier Yellow Division.
What they’re saying:
The conference-hosted weekend in Westfield, Ind., offered a great opportunity for teams such as Dayton Futbol Academy Elite 08 (OH) and FWSC 09G Dresden (IN) to experience conference play at one of the top complexes in the country at Grand Park.
“With high-quality fields, referee crews and support staff, we make every attempt to schedule several events each season at Grand Park,” said Matt Bridge of Dayton Futbol Academy Elite 08 (OH). “This weekend, our team really came together. It was great seeing our team get more players involved on both attacking and defending moments, while working hard as a team to improve our defending in transition.”
“The conference-hosted weekend was a lot of fun,” said Laura Kanalas of FWSC 09G Dresden (IN). “We’re very pleased to have the opportunity to compete in the Great Lakes Conference and be a part of US Youth Soccer beyond our own state. We know each game we play will be very competitive and the girls have done an excellent job supporting each other and stepping up to new challenges.”
The Great Lakes Conference is one of 13 Conferences within the USYS National League, and it consists of teams primarily from New York West, Pennsylvania West, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Kentucky.
To follow the Great Lakes Conference results and standings, click here.
Click here for more information on the Great Lakes Conference. For more information on all 13 of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and National League P.R.O., click here.