ST. LOUIS (May 1, 2021) — The first conference-hosted weekend in the Spring 2021 season of the US Youth Soccer Midwest Conference kicked off today at the Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex in St. Louis, Mo.
Over 90 teams across 20 divisions kicked off their conference-hosted weekend on Saturday, with 56 games played across 13 fields at the all-turf Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex.
Teams are fighting to climb the standings in their respective divisions to earn spots at the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships, 2021-22 National League P.R.O., and promotion to higher divisions for next season.
The St. Louis weekend concludes on Sunday, with 46 more games to be played.
This weekend at Creve Coeur serves as a return to conference-hosted play for many of the teams after missing out on last Spring, while a majority of the teams are taking part in their first weekend of Conference play, organized and scheduled by US Youth Soccer.
Mike Zovistoski, who serves as Executive Director for Greater Libertyville Soccer Association (IL) and coaches the Elite 08 Girls, believes this type of event in the middle of conference play is a huge benefit to his team and players.
“With the itinerary, schedule and hotel, you have the kids together,” Zovistoski said. “It allows us to meet for team dinners and have team bonding that you don’t normally get outside of the conference-hosted weekend.”
Those opinions were shared by Kieren Keane of Evolution SC (IL), who sees the conference-hosted weekend as a unique experience for his teams.
“You get to play against strong teams from elsewhere in the region in a different setting, which adds prestige to the Conference,” Keane said. “It brings the league together, the branding and facility are fantastic and it creates that experiential factor for the players, as well. When the players come here, they feel they are a part of something bigger.”
Some notes from Saturday’s matches:
- Cadence SFC 2008 (IL) got a 6-0 win over Iowa Rush 2008 Boys (IA), which gives the Illinois side a six-point cushion atop the standings in 13U Boys First Division White.
- In 14U Boys First Division Blue, Sporting Springfield 07 Tottenham (MO) put itself in a good position going into the final two games of the season. Its 4-0 win over VSA 07 Boys Premier (IA) gives it the edge in points over Iowa Rush 2007 Boys (IA), with the two teams set to meet later this season.
- With three games left to play, KC Athletics Academy Elite 06B Galacticos (KS) put themselves in a great position to win 15U Boys Premier I, keeping a clean sheet in a 3-0 win. A first-place finish in the division will give them a spot at the 2021 USYS Midwest Regionals, as well as 2021-22 National League P.R.O.
- USAI 2006B Elite Indy (IN) edged a back-and-forth contest, 4-3, over FC United DSM 2006 (IA), a win which retains their undefeated record heading into the second half of their games in 15U Boys Premier II Division.
- In its search for promotion to the Premier I Division, KCSG Academy 05 (MO) defeated EBU U16B Elite (WI), 3-0, which gives KCSG a two-point cushion atop the 16U Boys Premier II Division while having a game at hand over second-place 2005 Aguilas (IL).
- In a battle at the top of the standings of the 19U Boys First Division Blue, United 2002B Red (MO) defeated FC Wisconsin North 19B (WI), 4-2, which gives United a six-point lead heading into the second half of the Spring 2021 season.
- After losing its first game in Midwest Conference play this season, Legends FC 2008 Girls Black (MI) won both of its games Saturday by 1-0 scorelines, lifting Legends to second in the 13U Girls Premier II Division standings.
- Evolution 07 Girls Mercurial (IL) got a pair of wins, defeating Ajax St Louis SC Walsh/Noonan White (MO) 2-0 before winning 3-0 over Polonia '07 Red Eagles (WI), which lifts the Illinois side to first place in the 14U Girls Premier I Division.
The Midwest Conference is one of 13 Conferences under the USYS National League in the multi-state tier, and it consists of teams primarily from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota.
To follow the Midwest Conference results and standings this weekend, click here.
Click here for more information on the Midwest Conference. For more information on all of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Serie, and the National League P.R.O., click here.